Thursday, August 30, 2012

Week Thirty-Two



I never expected to be writing about this so soon. It's always too soon, but I always imagined too soon would be farther away.  It  never really is, though. 
Time is so precious and life so fast.

My Grandfather passed away on August 20th. I don't even know how to describe how wonderful and what an incredible and amazing man he was. And how blessed I was to have him as a Grandfather. <3
He was a WWII, Vietnam and Korean war veteran. He was a fighter pilot and proud of it. He basically flew every plane there was...and he loved it with such a deepness within him I'll never forget.

He was one of my favorite people in the whole wide world, and I am going to miss him so much. I could really go on and on and on and on about how much I loved him. He meant the world to me.

I'll miss the times when he would tell his stories about the good old days - and the WAY in which he told them. No one will ever tell them quite like he did. For him, it wasn't just talking, his whole being got into the story, not just his voice. Passion is what it was. Because when you are passionate about something, every fiber of your body tingles with excitement. And that's what my Gramps' was- passionate about life. His whole outlook on life in general was so inspiring - he had a love for the everything in this world. Anything got him excited, even the slightest thing. I think as time goes on and life progresses we often lose that awe and wonder for the everyday things, because they become so normal and routine. But not for my Grandpa, he really knew how to enjoy the little things in life, which in the end are the most important of all.
I hope that I can be like him in that way.

Even though he didn't live close, my heart aches knowing that he is no longer in this world. Over the past few years I had been able to visit him quite often and I'm so thankful and blessed to have spent so much time with him. Even though it makes it harder to say goodbye, I wouldn't trade those moments with him for anything in the world.

Nothing at all.

I know one day I will see him again, and that right there, is the greatest gift of all.

I love you so much, Gramps. Your memory will forever be inside of my heart.

<3














"Off we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun;
Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,
At 'em boys, Give 'er the gun! (Give 'er the gun now!)
Down we dive, spouting our flame from under,
Off with one helluva roar!
We live in fame or go down in flame. Hey!
Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!"

"Minds of men fashioned a crate of thunder,
Sent it high into the blue;
Hands of men blasted the world asunder;
How they lived God only knew! (God only knew then!)
Souls of men dreaming of skies to conquer
Gave us wings, ever to soar!
With scouts before And bombers galore. Hey!
Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!"

"Here's a toast to the host
Of those who love the vastness of the sky,
To a friend we send a message of his brother men who fly.
We drink to those who gave their all of old,
Then down we roar to score the rainbow's pot of gold.
A toast to the host of men we boast, the U.S. Air Force!"

"Off we go into the wild sky yonder,
Keep the wings level and true;
If you'd live to be a grey-haired wonder
Keep the nose out of the blue! (Out of the blue, boy!)
Flying men, guarding the nation's border,
We'll be there, followed by more!
In echelon we carry on. Hey!
Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!"
 


No comments:

Post a Comment