Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Week Thirty-Five



Tally marks.


I was very young when it happened. I remember waking up and coming downstairs to see my family staring at the television. There was smoke, orange blurs, and a building and a half. The screen kept replaying a scene of a plane flashing across the sky.
I was almost too little to understand, but I knew it was bad.

I can't even begin to imagine or comprehend how it was for all of those people in New York City. The chaos, panic, fear.  Or those who had loved ones on the planes, whether they were the pilots or the passengers. I cannot understand, I can only try to.

It was the day the nation prayed.
And a day we will never forget.

9 tally marks. 11 tally marks.
Such a little number in comparison to the number of those who died as a result of this terrorism.
Today we remember. We remember the bravery displayed by many on that day, and who continue to show, by fighting for what's right, fighting for freedom.

September eleven.

No comments:

Post a Comment